Carmel Sanitarium opened on March 17, 1933 by Pastor L Lemke. The factory not only provided much needed employment during the Great Depression and beyond. It also gave employment opportunities to more students. In particular young women were able to enrol and pay fees.
The health food work was also showing pleasing growth, particularly with the introduction of a new product called "Weet-Bix". Within 5 years the Carmel factory had to be enlarged in size and production capacity. All of this meant employment for students as well as permanent staff.
Photograph was taken by Louis Kosta, in the late 1950's.